As I updated The Koh Samui Guide for its 7th edition, I resumed the ungodly challenge of scouring the blog’s eleven-year history for every question ever asked.
Once I deleted the hilarious weird questions* (and the rude ones!), I had a definitive set of Thailand travel FAQs – your biggest questions and worries about travel to Thailand. Find them all answered below.
Links below may include affiliates. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. What does this mean? To you – business-as-usual, not a whole lot. To me – I receive a small commission on any resulting purchases at no cost to the consumer.
Top 50 Thailand travel FAQs
Whether it’s your first time to Thailand or you’re a repeat visitor with unanswered questions, the following 50 Thailand travel FAQs will be a great head-start for your trip-planning. Get tips and advice for packing, cultural dos and dont’s, transport, food, holidays and more. Enjoy!
Dos, don’ts and etiquette in Thailand
- Etiquette: How to be the rudest tourist in Thailand?
- Dos and Dont’s: 5 things to never do in Thailand
- First time to Thailand? The 10 mistakes I made
Staying healthy in Thailand
- Mosquitoes: What to know about mosquitoes in Thailand?
- Hygiene: How to avoid getting sick in Thailand
Your safety in Thailand
- Dress code: What to wear in Bangkok?
- Hotels: The best places to stay in Bangkok
- Sight-seeing: Murder, mystery … and mango sticky rice?
- Safety: How to stay safe in Bangkok
Electronics and gear for Thailand
- Thai plugs: Do you need travel adapters for Thailand?
- Travel insurance: How to cover your gear and electronics
- Your phone: How to use your phone in Thailand?
- Photography tips: How to take better beach photos in Thailand
Travel to Thailand: Flights and airports
- Carry-on: How to pack your carry-on for Thailand?
- Long-haul flights: How to stay healthy on your v-e-r-y long flight
- Bangkok Airways FAQS: Baggage allowance, check-in times, etc
- Connecting flights: How to transfer at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport
Thailand travel resources
- Trip-planning: How to prepare for Thailand?
- Where to stay? Best, boutique and budget hotels in Thailand
- Thailand travel guide books: Which will be most helpful to you?
- Kids’ books: The best children’s books about Thailand
Your Thailand itinerary
- Koh Samui vs Phuket? How to choose which you’ll like best
- Koh Samui vs Koh Phangan? What’s the difference?
Get to know Thai culture
- Fantastic books: My favourite books set in Thailand
- Thai greetings: How to ‘wai’ to greet someone
- Thai language: How to learn Thai with a podcast?
Thailand as an animal-lover
- Elephants: 4 things to know about riding elephants in Thailand
- Crazy dog/cat people: How to help Thailand’s dogs and cats?
- Shark fins: How to choose your hotel and restaurants?
- Wildlife: The Bangkok resident you don’t want to cuddle
Crucial cultural tips
- Temples: What to wear to a Thai temple?
- Your feet: What not to do with your feet in Thailand?
- Culture shock: How to avoid it in Thailand?
- Songkran: Where and how to celebrate the Thai New Year?
Thai islands and beaches
- Beach guide: Where to stay on Koh Samui?
- Dress code: What to wear on the beach in Thailand?
- Bamboo huts: Where to stay on Koh Tao?
- Koh Samui questions? Top 25 Koh Samui FAQs
- Guest guide: Your guide to a Thailand destination wedding
Food and drink in Thailand
- Pineapples: How to cut up pineapple (like a Thai ninja)?
- Thai fruit: 12 Thai fruits to try
- Thai beer: What to know about beer in Thailand?
- Recipe: How to make a Samui-style pineapple shake?
*The top three weirdest questions
The three weirdest questions I’ve ever been asked about Thailand travel:
- Is it dangerous for Canadians to wear Canadian hats in Thailand?”
- “Are there Thai girls at Thai airports who wash socks and cook for u?”
- “Are there wild poodles in Koh Samui?”
Answers? No, no and no.