Whether you’ve planned it to perfection or you’re just lucky, May is a gorgeous time to visit Koh Samui – and there’s lots to look forward to besides sunshine.
Koh Samui in May
1. What to expect on Koh Samui in May?
May is still Koh Samui’s “hot” season. Given Samui’s location just a few degrees above the equator, that’s saying something.
2. What are hotel rates like for Koh Samui in May?
- High-end: Hansar Samui (£135/night)
- Mid-range: Escape Beach Resort (£31/night)
- Budget: Chaulty Towers Guest House (£22/night)
Rates via Booking.com for a random Monday night in May, avoiding major holidays and events.
3. Is May a good time to visit Koh Samui?
May on Samui gets an average of 215 hours of sun. That’s almost 7 hours a day – sound good? I think so. As well, May is pretty quiet compared to mid-to-late June and July/August when families arrive for holidays with school-aged children.
4. Is May or June better on Koh Samui?
Refer to everyone’s favourite Thai-glish phrase: “Same same”. Your daylight hours will be 11 minutes longer in early June
versus early May.
As for the weather? Can you tell the difference between 1°C?
On average, rainfall is very slightly heavier in May but over the same amount of time (so, if it rains, it’s just more emphatic in May than June). Both are a great time to visit Koh Samui.
- Temperature (avg): 30°C in May vs 29°C in June
- Sunshine (hours): 6 in May vs 6 in June
- Rainy days (avg): 9 days (160mm) in May vs 9 days (100mm) in June
- Sea temperature: 28°C in May vs 28°C in June
- *data source
5. Is Koh Samui or Phuket better in May?
- Temperature (avg): 30°C on Koh Samui vs 29°C in Phuket
- Sunshine (hours): 6 on Koh Samui vs 8 in Phuket
- Rainy days (avg): 9 days (160mm) on Koh Samui vs 18 days (200mm) in Phuket
- Sea temperature: 28°C on Koh Samui vs 30°C in Phuket
- *data source
6. Is Koh Samui busy in May?
Year-to-year, Koh Samui’s tourist numbers fluctuate – often when another country’s exchange rate changes to make a destination like Thailand more expensive.
Two pieces of certain science:
Children in the UK, Australia, the States and Canada (and much of the rest of the world) are in school in May.
You can always find peace and quiet somewhere on Koh Samui, no matter the month.
Koh Samui weather in May
7. What’s the weather like on Koh Samui in May?
Expect temperatures anywhere between 28-35 degrees Celsius (that’s 82-95 Fahrenheit) – perhaps with the occasional shower.
Don’t panic about the possibility of rain. Samui’s tropical storms are amazing – and they don’t last long at this time of year. The Koh Samui Guide is fully stocked with rainy day ideas, including a full checklist of activities to keep perfectly entertained in any weather.
8. What’s the chance of rain on Koh Samui in May?
Minimal. Worst case – it rains a little bit across an average of 9 days in 31. Storms are usually pretty quick in May – rarely does the “rain/thunder” icon on your weather forecast mean that it rains all day, as in somewhere like the UK.
9. Is May a good time to get married on Koh Samui?
Yes. Although you’ll need to make sure your guests are prepared for the considerable heat.
How to prepare for Koh Samui in May
10. What should I pack for Koh Samui in May?
It totally depends what you hope to do, see and learn on Koh Samui.
Given the long days and promise of gorgeous sunshine, it’s a great time of year to visit Ang Thong Marine Park and try to a huge variety of watersports.
So, in addition to the things on my recommended Thailand packing list, make sure you bring cover-ups for the sun and quality sunscreen for the water. Consider Sun Bum and a UPF rash guard – ideal to wear when snorkelling or kayaking.
11. What to wear on Koh Samui in May?
A reader recently asked, “Can you wear jeans on Koh Samui in May?” You can, by all means, but find out why you probably shouldn’t.
Things to do on Koh Samui in May
12. What are the best things to do on Koh Samui in May?
What to do with all that May sunshine? A few ideas….
- Hit the seas and enjoy a private boat tour or sunset cruise.
- Book a day-trip to Angthong Marine Park.
- Play beach cricket all day, every day (maybe with some Uno mixed in).
- Explore every inch of Koh Samui’s many beaches (and, ahem, its beach bars).
- Take up diving, kiteboarding or learn to sail.
Use The Koh Samui Guide to make sure you have more fun than anyone else on Koh Samui (and eat your way around the entire island).
13. Koh Samui events in May?
May 1: Labour Day. Expect banks & many shops to be closed.
May 20 (through May 27): The Samui Regatta is the island’s biggest event each May. Enjoy racing by day and parties by night. If not sailing yourself, you can watch the action from the shore – Centara Grand Beach Resort on Chaweng beach is the event’s HQ and its Coast Beach Club is no hardship.
14. What’s next?
To make sure you enjoy it all in full, you’ll need The Koh Samui Guide. You might wind up more excited, but definitely better prepared. Enjoy!