Well done. If you’re coming to Koh Samui this February you’ve picked the month that’s – as far as averages state – the island’s driest month of the year. And the clincher? An entire extra hour of sunshine per day over January!
Links below may include affiliates. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. What does this mean? To you – business-as-usual, not a whole lot. To me – I receive a small commission on any resulting purchases at no cost to the consumer.
Koh Samui in February: Your FAQs
What should I pack for Koh Samui in February?
- Sun protection! First, take a look at what to wear in Thailand, and spend twice as long reading the suggestions at the bottom for sun protection – especially if you plan to be on the water.
- If you prefer toxin-free toiletries, this list includes the natural sunscreens I’ve tried, tested and really like for Thailand.
- Other than that, here’s a totally foolproof Thailand Packing List, including clothes, your carry-on and electronics to bring.
Is February a good time to visit Koh Samui? If you love sunshine and like a perfect “not too hot, not too cold” temperature, February is the ideal month for you to visit Koh Samui.
What to expect on Koh Samui in February? Expect good things! Koh Samui in February has the least rainfall of any month in the year. What’s more, the island is a whopping 1.7% warmer – on average – than in January. That’s a difference of 0.5°C Celsius (29.5°C, versus January’s 29°C, or 84° vs 85° Fahrenheit) but still – take what you can get!
February accommodation rates
- High-end: Hansar Samui (£194/night)
- Mid-range: Escape Beach Resort (£50/night)
- Budget: Chaulty Towers Guest House (£27/night)
- 5 bedrooms: The Pool on the Hill (£785+/night)
- 4 bedrooms: Villa Moonshadow (£925+/night)
- 3 bedrooms: The Headland – Villa Four (£480–£555/night)
Rates via Booking.com for a random Monday night in February.
Koh Samui weather in February
What’s the weather like on Koh Samui in February? As for average daily lows, brace yourself for a frigid 25°C/77°F.
How much does it rain on Koh Samui in February? It rains very little in February – it’s typically the driest month. Total rainfall is just 30 mm (just over an inch), spread across an average of 5 barely rainy days.
How hot is it on Koh Samui in February? Certainly warming up! January is the coolest month, and April the hottest, so I place February in “just right” territory. Whereas I (a wimp) can usually be outside all day in early January (and rarely need air-conditioning), by February, I’m usually hiding inside for part of the day. You’ll definitely have at least one “hot dog hanging out of a car window” moment, promise.
Is it sunny on Koh Samui in February? Using my own experience and “what the internet says is statistical data”, oh yes-yes-yes. Not every second of every day – but certainly all the sun a winterised body needs to see.
Is Koh Samui or Phuket better in February? Let’s call it a tie…
- Temperature (avg): 27°C on Koh Samui vs 28°C in Phuket
- Sunshine (hours): 8 on Koh Samui vs 9 in Phuket
- Rainy days (avg): 5 days (30mm) on Koh Samui vs 4 days (30mm) in Phuket
- Sea temperature: 27°C on Koh Samui vs 29°C in Phuket
Is February or March better on Koh Samui? You decide – March tends to be hotter than February, but there’s not much in it.
- Temperature (avg): 27°C in Feb vs 29°C in Mar
- Sunshine (hours): 8 in Feb vs 8 in Mar
- Rainy days (avg): 5 days (30mm) in Feb vs 4 days (30mm) in Mar
- Sea temperature: 27°C in Feb vs 27°C in March
Things to do on Koh Samui in February
No matter how much you care to plan your February visit to Samui, romantic or otherwise, you’ll find something delightful at every turn. Fragrant flowers, shady sun-beds and a Thai massage – try to top it! As it’s typically so sunny, you might particularly enjoy getting out on the water to enjoy snorkelling, stand-up paddling or a lazier sunset cruise.
Can I swim in the sea on Koh Samui in February? Barring freak weather (which, let’s face it, can happen anywhere at any time of year), yes, it’s nice and swimmable on Koh Samui in Feb.
When are sunrise and sunset on Koh Samui in February? On February 1st, early birds will hop to it at 6:42 am and toast the sunset at 6:26 pm. (Add 5-10 minutes to those times if you’re visiting closer to March).
What fruits are in season on Koh Samui in February? Jackfruit and tamarind are winter fruits, with mangosteen and salak fruit starting to come into season for the spring. Perhaps not four fruits ever combined into a single fruit salad – but you might be brave.
Koh Samui events in February?
As for annual fixtures, that would include…
February 14: Valentine’s Day: Want to be a smug love bug this month? If roses and chocolates are the order of the day, you’ll find special romantic dining options all across the island, and at large resorts particularly. Favourite resorts that cater to couples and honeymoons include:
More Koh Samui questions?
Planning your February trip and have lots more questions? Like where to start, how to choose your best beach, where to find incredible Thai food, and e-v-er-y-t-h-i-n-g else? Hit pause on your panic: as you can see, I’ve been going OCD on Koh Samui for a very long time. The Koh Samui Guide means you’ll arrive prepared and ready to roll. Download your copy now, and read it in bed while you count down your sleeps to Samui!