Given the success of our A to Z Thailand packing list, we’re combining the alphabet and ‘really, really random’ again to find out: How much do things cost on Koh Samui? From drinks, snacks, beach massages, lessons to XYZ (literally) – here’s an idea of how much baht to bring.
How much do things cost on Koh Samui?
Ambre Solaire sunscreen
- Koh Samui price: THB 595 (US $17, GBP £13, AUD 23) for Ambre Solaire sunscreen (one regular, 200 ml bottle) at a Koh Samui pharmacy.
- Amazon price: £4+ at Amazon UK
Comparing the same bottle at Amazon, expect sunscreen to cost as much as 325% more on Koh Samui than at home (depending on whether you’re looking in a pharmacy or a hotel gift shop). Sunscreen is expensive in Thailand – they know you need it – and selection can be limited. Bring your favourite from home.
Prefer eco/non-toxic products? These are the best natural sunscreens for Thailand: they’re as green-as-can-be, with no animal testing – we’ve tried them all.
Bombay Sapphire gin
- Koh Samui price: 1169 THB (US $37, GBP £27, AUD 49) for Bombay Sapphire gin (one 70 cl bottle ) at a Koh Samui supermarket.
- Amazon price: £22+ at Amazon UK
Imported alcohol is pricey in Thailand (tariffs! duties!) – in this case, 117% more than the UK.
Are you coming to Koh Samui to celebrate something special? Beyond sunset spots and save-the-rainy-day suggestions, The Koh Samui Guide has detailed drinks lists plus tips for succeeding at duty-free.
- Koh Samui price: 629 THB (US $18, GBP £14, AUD 25) for high-grade, virgin coconut oil (one 1-litre bottle) at a Koh Samui supermarket.
You won’t see tremendous savings in buying your coconut oil locally … but how about the smug satisfaction of supporting the island’s original industry? The range of choice on offer in terms of coconut oil and related products is always an enjoyable browse – and makes great gifts.
- Koh Samui price: 38 THB (US $1, GBP £0.85, AUD 1.45) for a 2-litre bottle of Diet Coke at a Koh Samui supermarket.
Recall that Coco-Cola’s entire business model relies on Coke being as cheap (or cheaper) than water? No gouging here.
- Koh Samui price: 80 THB (US $2, GBP £2, AUD 3 for espresso at a Fisherman’s Village café.
Plan on higher prices (but even prettier scenery) for hotel coffee.
- Koh Samui price: 300 THB (US $8, GBP £7, AUD 11) for a 1-hour foot massage on the beach.
Rates on Koh Samui’s main beaches tend to be standard, but you might find lower rates off the beaten track – in quieter areas like Hua Thanon, Taling Ngam and Lipa Noi. For services like this, there’s no tipping, and you’ll always pay in cash.
- Koh Samui price: 170 THB (US $5, GBP £4, AUD 6) for green curry with chicken on Chaweng beach.
The stated price is for a lunch dish at a casual bungalow restaurant. Expect to pay more at nicer hotels, and less off the beach (approximately 120 THB for the same dish on Chaweng high street).
Planning to eat your own body weight in Thailand? Get our top food and drink recommendations in The Koh Samui Guide.
- Koh Samui price: 1390 THB (US $39, GBP £31, AUD 52) for Havaianas flip-flops at the Havaianas store, in Koh Samui’s Central Festival mall.
- Amazon price: £9+ at Amazon UK
Again, imported products come with a price tag: comparing the same pair at Amazon, you’ll find that Western brands can be 300% more than at home. Of course, it’s nice to have shopping options available if you need them – but you’ll probably want to bring these things from home (especially if you have feet bigger than “Thai-size”).
Learn exactly which shoes are best for Thailand (and find out why you’ll want to live in flip-flops on Koh Samui).
- Koh Samui price: 90 THB (US $3, GBP £2, AUD 3) for a scoop of ice cream at a Choeng Mon café.
- Koh Samui price: 120 THB (US $3, GBP £3, AUD 5) for fresh juice at a Choeng Mon café
- Koh Samui price: 590 THB (US $17, GBP £13, AUD 22) for Kobe beef carpaccio at a Fisherman’s Village café.
Rest assured, Koh Samui has plenty to offer the well-funded foodie.
Long island iced tea
- Koh Samui price: 195 THB (US $5, GBP £4, AUD 7) for long island iced tea (and other standard cocktails) on Chaweng beach.
Stretch your drinking dollars further by looking for beach-front happy hours, typically just before sunset.
- Koh Samui price: 4390 THB (US $123, GBP £98, AUD 165) for Mumm champagne (75 cl bottle) at a Koh Samui supermarket.
- Amazon price: £38 at Amazon UK
Crying a little? Your tears are thanks to steep import duties – meaning Koh Samui champagne is nearly 400% more than the same bottle at home. Bring your own – packed safely in your suitcase.
Nivea after-sun lotion
- Koh Samui price: 600 THB (US $17, GBP £13, AUD 23) for Nivea after-sun lotion at a hotel gift shop.
We emphasise that this is hotel gift shop pricing, just to flag your toiletry-packing necessities. If you prefer natural/green products, check out our recommendations for the best toiletries for Thailand (face care, shower stuff, mosquito repellent, makeup, sunscreen and more).
Off! mosquito repellent
- Koh Samui price: 175 THB (US $5, GBP £4, AUD 7) for Off! mosquito repellent at a Koh Samui supermarket.
Great to know it’s there as a Plan B, but acquaint yourself with our most successful tactics to win the mosquito war in Thailand and you’ll arrive with an arsenal of your own.
- Koh Samui price: 55 THB (US $2, GBP £1, AUD 2) for Pringles (1 can) at a Koh Samui supermarket.
Legitimise your snacking: You’ll want to increase your salt intake in Thailand’s heat.
- Koh Samui price: 15 THB for cheapy travel size to 63 THB for the cottonuch iest of buds (US $0.40-$2, GBP £0.3-£1, AUD 1-2) Q-Tips at a Koh Samui supermarket.
- Koh Samui price: 649 THB and up (US $18, GBP £14, AUD 25) for rosé (75 cl bottle) at a Koh Samui bottle shop (Wine Collection, Central Festival mall).
The stated price is for the cheapest option on the shelf, for our quantity-over-quality friends.
- Koh Samui price: 34 THB (US $1, GBP £0.76, AUD 1) for Singha beer (small bottle) at a Koh Samui supermarket.
- Koh Samui price: 300 THB (US $8, GBP £7, AUD 11) for a Thai massage on the beach.
Again, ‘beach basic’ is your starter price, with high-end hotels offering spa menus luxurious enough to require a re-mortgage.
- Koh Samui price: THB 109 (US $3, GBP £2, AUD 4) for an umbrella – a cheapy ‘save-the-day’ pocket umbrella – at a Koh Samui supermarket.
- Koh Samui price: 999 THB (US $28, GBP £22, AUD 37) for a 70cl bottle of Absolut vodka at a Koh Samui supermarket.
While shelves are well-stocked with choices, you’ll won’t find bargain booze for anything imported to Thailand. Though more reasonable than champagne, vodka prices are about 150% more than at home (comparing the same bottle for £14.75 at Amazon UK).
- Koh Samui price: 110 THB (US $3, GBP £2, AUD 4) for a watermelon shake on Chaweng beach.
Most Samui restaurants have a dozen options of fruit shakes: coconut, banana and pineapple are amongst our favourites.
- Koh Samui price: 99 THB (US $3, GBP £2, AUD 4) for X-rated soap at a Koh Samui souvenir market.
- Koh Samui price: 500 THB (US $14, GBP £11, AUD 19) for 1 hour’ drop-in yoga in Fisherman’s Village.
- Koh Samui price: 2950 THB (US $83, GBP £66, AUD 111) for a Koh Samui zip-line tour (2000-metre cable ride).
More Koh Samui questions?
Fear not, you can enjoy the island on your terms, on just about any budget, so we’ve tried to account for Sir-Spend-A-Lot and dollar-stretchers alike. Dubious? Check out your huge range of resort and bungalow options.
For perfect planning, use The Koh Samui Guide to find out when it makes sense to bring particular items from home and when to buy them locally on Samui. Enjoy!