As we updated The Koh Samui Guide for its 5th edition, we resumed the ungodly challenge of scouring our blog’s 8-year history for every question ever asked. Once we deleted the hilarious weird questions (and the rude ones!), we had a definitive set of your biggest questions and worries about travel to Thailand – all answered below. Whether it’s your first-time to Thailand or you’re a repeat visitor with unanswered questions, the following 50 Thailand travel FAQs will be a great head-start for your trip-planning. Get tips and advice for packing, cultural dos and dont’s, transport, food, holidays and more. Enjoy!
Travel planning: First decisions
- Where to stay? Best, boutique and budget hotels in Thailand
- First time to Thailand? The 10 mistakes we made
- Koh Samui vs Koh Phangan? What’s the difference? + Hotel comparisons
- Koh Samui vs Phuket? How to choose which you’ll like best
- Thailand travel guide books: Which will be most helpful to you?
- Pinterest travel-planning: Our most popular Pins
- What’s the best mosquito repellent for Thailand? Our vote = Incognito Anti-Mozzie Spray
- What to know: Everything to know about mosquitoes in Thailand
Dos, don’ts and etiquette in Thailand
- Etiquette: How to be the rudest tourist in Thailand?
- Songkran festival: What to expect?
- Dos and Dont’s: The top dos and don’ts in Thailand
- Your feet: What to know about feet, shoes and etiquette
- Thai greetings: How to ‘wai’
- Learning Thai: How to learn a few Thai words + Learn Thai Podcast
- Fantastic books: Our favourite books set in Thailand
What to pack, What to wear
- Packing tips for Thailand: The A to Z checklist
- Useful things: 31 things you’ll find helpful in Thailand
- Shoes: What shoes are best for Thailand?
- At night: What to wear to dinner in Thailand?
- Rainy season: The best fabrics for extreme humidity
- Dress code: Learn the dress code for Thai temples and more
- Packing FAQs: Your electronics, toiletries + carry-on
Travel, transport and getting around Thailand
- Connecting flights: How to transfer at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport
- Bangkok Airways FAQS: Baggage allowance, check-in times, etc
- Long-haul flights: How to stay healthy on your v-e-r-y long flight
- GPS: Do you need GPS for Thailand? + Garmin review
Getting married in Thailand (+ honeymoons)
- Honeymoon: Things to pack for your honeymoon
- Guest guide: What to wear to a Thai destination wedding
- Everything we know: Brief intro to getting married in Thailand
- Gift ideas: Perfect presents for a wedding in Thailand
Thailand for Christmas
- Which is better? Phuket vs Koh Samui for Christmas
- For women: travel gift ideas for Thailand
- For men: travel gift ideas for Thailand
- Stocking stuffers: $10 travel gift ideas
- Gadgets: travel gift ideas for Thailand
Things to do in Thailand
- Shopping: The best things to buy in Thailand?
- Elephants: Thailand’s 3 best elephant sanctuaries (that you can visit!)
- Bangkok: Our favourite attraction – The Jim Thompson House
- Birds: Incredible birds of Thailand + where to see them
Food and drink in Thailand
- Street food: Where to find Thailand’s best street food?
- Swim-up bars: 7 Koh Samui resorts with swim-up pool bars
- Pineapple: How to cut up a pineapple Thai-style
- Recipe: Thai pineapple shake recipe
- Thai fruit: 12 Thai fruits to try
- Thai beer: What to know about beer in Thailand?
Heading to the beach in Thailand
- Beach books: The best-ever beach books + our top 10
- Beach toys: 12 toys to ‘elevate’ sea level
- Sun hats: How to stay safe in Thailand’s sun
More questions? We reward curious sorts on a weekly basis – subscribe to get the weekly email and every new travel tip comes straight to you.
Images used under license from Shutterstock.com