As I updated The Koh Samui Guide for its 5th edition, I resumed the ungodly challenge of scouring the blog’s 9-ish year history for every question ever asked.
Once I deleted the hilarious weird questions* (and the rude ones!), I had a definitive set of your biggest questions and worries about travel to Thailand – all answered below.
Your first time to Thailand?
Whether it’s your first time to Thailand or you’re a repeat visitor with unanswered questions, the following 50 Thailand travel FAQs will be a great head-start for your trip-planning. Get tips and advice for packing, cultural dos and dont’s, transport, food, holidays and more. Enjoy!
Thailand travel: Your first decisions
- First time to Thailand? The 10 mistakes I made
- Where to stay? Best, boutique and budget hotels in Thailand
- Trip-planning: How to prepare for Thailand?
- Koh Samui vs Phuket? How to choose which you’ll like best
Dos, don’ts and etiquette in Thailand
- Etiquette: How to be the rudest tourist in Thailand?
- Dos and Dont’s: The top dos and don’ts in Thailand
- Thai greetings: How to ‘wai’
What to pack?
- Packing tips for Thailand: The A to Z checklist
- Useful things: 31 things you’ll find helpful in Thailand
- Packing FAQs: Your electronics, toiletries + carry-on
Health and safety
- Mosquitoes: What to know about mosquitoes in Thailand
- Sunscreen: The best toiletries for Thailand
- The best mosquito repellent? The non-toxic product I love
- Sun hats: How to stay safe in Thailand’s sun
Things to do in Thailand
- Shopping: The best things to buy in Thailand?
- Elephants: Thailand’s 3 best elephant sanctuaries (that you can visit!)
- Learning Thai: How to learn a few Thai words
- Animal lovers: How to help Thailand’s dogs and cats
What to wear?
- At night: What to wear to dinner in Thailand?
- Dress code: Learn the dress code for Thai temples and more
- Shoes: What shoes are best for Thailand?
- Rainy season: The best fabrics for extreme humidity
Travel planning: Thailand resources
- Thailand travel guide books: Which will be most helpful to you?
- Thailand travel on Pinterest: The most popular Thailand Pins
- Fantastic books: Our favourite books set in Thailand
Crucial cultural tips
- Your feet: What to know about feet, shoes and etiquette
- Culture shock: How to avoid it in Thailand
- Shark fins: How to choose your hotel and restaurants
- Beach dogs: What to know before you fall in love
Getting to Thailand
- Long-haul flights: How to stay healthy on your v-e-r-y long flight
- Bangkok Airways FAQS: Baggage allowance, check-in times, etc
- Connecting flights: How to transfer at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport
- Your phone: How to use your phone in Thailand
- Hotels: Where to stay in Bangkok
- Sight-seeing: My favourite BKK attraction (+ lunch spot)
- This year’s winners: 2017 Travellers’ Choice Awards
- Wildlife: The Bangkok resident you don’t want to cuddle
- Koh Samui vs Koh Phangan? What’s the difference?
- Phuket: Top 5 Phuket hotels
- Beach guide: Where to stay on Koh Samui?
- Bamboo huts: Where to stay on Koh Tao?
- Koh Samui questions? Top 25 Koh Samui FAQs
- Island photography tips: How to take better beach photos
Food and drink in Thailand
- Thai fruit: 12 Thai fruits to try
- Street food: Where to find Thailand’s best street food?
- Thai beer: What to know about beer in Thailand?
Weddings and honeymoons
- Makeup: The best natural makeup for Thailand’s heat
- Honeymoon: Things to pack for your honeymoon
- Guest guide: Your guide to a Thailand destination wedding
- Travel gift ideas: 89 gift ideas perfect for Thailand travel
*3 weirdest questions
The 3 weirdest questions I’ve ever been asked about Thailand travel:
- “Are there thai girls at thai airports who wash socks and cook for u”
- “Are there wild poodles in koh samui”
- Is it dangerous for Canadians to wear Canadian hats in Thailand”
(Answers? No, no and no).
I reward curious sorts on a weekly basis – subscribe to get the weekly (…weekly-ish) email and every new Thailand travel tip comes straight to you. Enjoy!
Images used under license from Shutterstock.com