Make it a perfect holiday for two. Samui makes a great destination for groups of all sorts – families, friends and couples alike. If you’re coming on vacation as a couple or for your honeymoon, here’s what we recommend – a starter-pack for a perfectly romantic break.
- Planning to propose on Koh Samui? Here’s your cheat-sheet, boys. All the ideas you need for romantic surprises, sunset beach dinners, the lot.
- Coming on honeymoon? We recommend a few things to pack.
- Attending a Koh Samui wedding? Get some tips, whether it’s your wedding or you’re attending as a guest.
It may have been your idea, or it might have been hers. One way or another, you and the missus are coming to Koh Samui for a holiday, and you have days of uncomplicated, soothing bliss ahead of you. Sure, the simple pleasure of allowing time to saunter on by itself is as pure and enjoyable on Samui as it is anywhere. But what if you want a head start? A few extra points, say? Whether she’s your girlfriend, fiancée or wife (or you’re hoping she’ll come as one and leave as another – in which case, bon chance, mon frère), consider the following your cheat sheet to relationship harmony while on Samui.
Romantic things to do on Koh Samui
Couples’ massage at Koh Samui spas
Samui was voted the 2nd best destination in Asia for spas in recent TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Awards, so be sure to sample some of the best the world has to offer in terms of prodding and pampering. Life is twice as nice at Zazen Spa (a popular honeymoon destination), or at any of these recommended Koh Samui spas. Failing that, you can get a very good Thai massage pretty much anywhere on Samui. Many resorts offer packages designed for two – but a spontaneous side-by-side beach message is nice, too. Cheeky masseuses will insist you hold hands (as they cackle presumably filthy things in Thai).
The Four Seasons, a peninsula further west, between Bang Po and Nathon. Actual heaven on earth costs a bit – she’s worth it, yes? (Say yes).
If the spa went down well, why not recreate the experience at home? You might be missing a few things – palm trees, ocean breezes, panoramic views, qualifications – but you might be surprised how easily some tropical scents can transport you back to holiday-land. Overwhelmed by the choice? Is everything threatening to relax, soothe, calm, refresh, de-stress and otherwise charm and embalm you? You can’t go wrong with lemongrass – and the amusingly named dork phud is a surprising winner, too.
Things to do on Koh Samui for couples
Much of what we consider ‘the best of Koh Samui‘ is perfect to enjoy as a couple. With sunset stunners and tropical flowers everywhere, it’s an island that lends itself to romantic vacations.
- Whether you (like Andy Murray and Kim) get competitive at beach tennis…
- Will enjoy dinner, drinks and browsing at one of Samui’s many walking streets…
- Want to take a sunset cruise for two – See your options for day trips, cruises and tours around Samui…
- Would love to hire a professional to shoot a series of lasting holiday mementos (perhaps an engagement?). A number of professional and wedding photographers operate on Samui. As we can’t recommend any personally, we suggest researching your own favourite. (Or, if you’re far too private, bring a travel tripod and enjoy a photo session of your own).
- Plan to try couples’ yoga – you could do worse than arranging private yoga sessions while on Samui…
- Might add some interesting characters – sun beds, your best friend, cocktails, people watching and a totally addictive beach book…
- (Show you’re the thoughtful type by remembering mosquito repellant – a must if you’re near water around dusk).
Just put The Koh Samui Guide in your back pocket and see what takes your collective fancy – whether cooking classes, sailing lessons or exploring the island top to bottom.